Motherhood, it’s one of the most rewarding times in a woman’s life, but it can also be one of the hardest and most demanding jobs out there. From late nights and early mornings, to those days that feel like they’ll never end and that magical washing pile that seems to resemble mount Everest most of the time. When I became a Mum dry shampoo, top knots and concealer became my best friends. I mean, we all deserve to feel fabulous, don’t we? I often wondered how this was possible without having to spend a lot of time making that happen. Whether your getting ready for work, the school run or anything in between taking five minutes for your makeup can help you to feel refreshed, polished and ready for the day.
As a makeup artist (and mum!) I want to share tips for mums everywhere on how to master the secrets to fast, easy, glowing skin in just five simple steps that will deliver beautiful results.
1. Prep your skin – Looking after your skin is so important, there are so many different products and routines out there it can be mind boggling and it’s hard to know where to start. I love Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish to remove all my makeup and leave my skin looking and feeling like I have a radiant glow. Finish this step with the Liz Earle Skin Repair moisturiser. This perfectly balanced moisturiser helps to soften, smooth and condition your skin.
2. Apply your base – My go to foundation is Bare Minerals Bare Pro, It’s the product that sounds too good to be true, but it certainly delivers everything it promises, with up to 24 hours coverage, good-for-skin ingredients which are visible within just SEVEN days (yes you read that correctly!) and is heat, humidity, water and sweat-resistant. If that wasn’t enough it also provides SPF 20 sun protection which is essential in preventing premature aging of the skin. It comes in a wide range of shades so there is something to suit everyone. To set dust a little Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder over your skin.
3. The three E’s – Eyebrows have become something a lot of Makeup Artists and influencers are getting very creative with at the moment. My favourite way to enhance my brows is to use NYX Micro Brow Pencil. It comes with a handy brush to fluff the brow and spread the product all the way through. Maybelline mascara’s have always been and will always be a must have item in my makeup bag, there is a variety to choose from and come in handy waterproof versions too. Eyeliner is a really quick and easy way to enhance and define the eye shape. Black liner can sometimes look a little harsh, so try opting for a brown pencil for a smokier look or to make the eyes pop and look less tired try applying white into the waterline.
4. Blush and Lips – Applying blush gives your skin a healthy, natural look, giving a dull, dehydrated skin a little colour and life. Try doubling up and using your usual lipstick on the cheek bones to enhance this area and give the face a little more definition, blending out with your fingers. Lipstick / Lip balms are a great way to give your lips a little oomph and plump them naturally.
5. Glow – My favourite step! You can call this step, the cherry on top. Highlighters are huge at the moment, with every brand trying to be the brightest and the best. Everyone applies their highlighter differently, to get that fresh, natural glow to your skin try applying your highlighter with a mid-sized fluffy brush from the apples of the cheeks and up above the cheek bone to the temples in circular motions, down the bridge of your nose and dust above the brows on your forehead. These are the highest points of the face and the best way to compliment your skin. I recommend Sleek Cleopatra’s Kiss Highlighter Palette, with four dreamy shades to choose from or you can mix them together to create your own shade.
If your reading this feeling totally lost, don’t worry, makeup is something that doesn’t come in a ‘one size fits all’. I have recommended products that are suitable for all skin types and tones, but of course, everyone will have their own preferences. I would always recommend shopping around for products, especially foundation, going into your local cosmetics or department store for advice and samples specifically for your skin.
If you’d like to take your application skills to the next level, why not try a 1-1 makeup lesson. Stephanie Alexandra MUA’s 1-1 Learn your own face lesson will teach you how to choose the perfect products, apply the products correctly and enhance your unique and favourite features. Upon completion you will receive a step by step guide including all the products and brushes you have used in your lesson to help you to recreate your looks. Find out more at www.stephaniealexandramua.co.uk
Thank you all for taking the time to read, please let me know if you found this useful and any questions you may have, I’d love to hear from you!